There are many believes about how to keep the team motivated such that everyone strives to do better everyday. A couple of months ago I read an HBR article on this subject, which prompted me to give it some thought. In the end, I concurred with the article’s findings and was able to adapt it for the technology world.
Here is what it boils down to:
- Assign short assignments to each team member
- Define short term measurable goals
- Define tangible quality metrics and make it available on a shared site which is clearly visible to team members
- Review work and provide feedback every week
- Publicly recognize the member scoring high on the metrics periodically
- Offer a small reward along with recognition to the best team member each month
- Provide a forum for team members to share their knowledge with other team members
Offering higher salary does not increase productivity or quality. Salary being offered is a function of the demand and supply of any given skill set and experience level in any geographic location and has little to do with engineer’s motivation level.